Thursday, May 6, 2010

Inspiration

Yesterday I woke up and while rushing out the door I couldn't find my cell phone. This is extremely common for me so I didn't think much about it. When I got home I searched and searched and found nothing. I called my friend to have her call my phone and after about 3 calls to the cell and walking around the house, outside, the garage and the car, I gave up. I knew it was somewhere. I specifically remembered seeing it on her outdoor table the afternoon before. She had walked around her garage and her yard and couldn't hear it either.

I went and did the myriad of things I had to do with thoughts of my lost phone nagging at me constantly. I got home to find Colin there. He didn't know where it was either. I took his phone and called and called my phone while walking around and around. No luck! I was standing in the garage and thought it was time to ask for some divine guidance. I folded my arms right there and gave a heart-felt prayer.

After the kids went to bed I got online hoping I could track it with the GPS feature. Well, you can't unless you have an IPhone or have downloaded the application. As I was contemplating my options I really felt impressed that it was at my friends house. It just had to be. It was 10:30pm. I told Colin I was going to her house. The weather had been on and off all afternoon with rain and wind, thunder and lightning. I took Colin's phone and drove the 2 minutes. It was raining lightly but I was determined. As I called and walked around I didn't hear anything. I then walked toward the garage and I heard my ring. I didn't want to freak her out by walking around her yard, I could see her on her computer from the driveway, so I called her, told her I could hear it and I thought it was in the garage. As she comes out of her house and we head to the garage a HUGE, VERY, VERY LOUD thunder clap booms out. We both scream and the rain just starts dumping. Well even through the thunder and the downpour I can hear the ring. I found it behind her garage, thanks to some kid. Probably my kid. It was under some foliage just ringing away. I was SO happy!! I ran to car and she ran to her house. I was very wet after about 2 minutes.

My point...if I had ignored the strong and recurrent feeling that it was at her house the rain would have ruined it for sure! As it was it had rained off and on earlier that evening but the inside of my phone was dry and the outside just had a bit of moisture on it. This makes me grateful for prayer and the promptings of the Holy Ghost regardless of the need. The Lord hears and answers our prayers. Of that I am absolutely sure of.

3 comments:

abbynormal said...

I especially love how sometimes He uses very intentional timing to make it absolutely crystal clear that what is happening is because of divine guidance that we prayed for. Thank you for sharing.

rebeccaV said...

I love it when that happens. I always forget that I can pray for small and seemingly insignificant things, but when I do I always get help. He really does know us and wants to help us with everything!

Jason and Dana said...

Someone retold this story in sacrament a month or so ago. A little girl lost her bracelet (or maybe necklace) at church and was so sad about it. Her mom knew they should pray for it but she was so worried they would pray about it and not find it and she didn't want her daughter to think prayer didn't work. After looking for it for a really long time she finally decided she'd pray for it. And they found it. I know so many times I feel like something is so insignificant Heavenly Father doesn't need to be bothered by it, but nothing is insignificant to Him. I just have to keep reminding myself of that.
Since my friend used that story in her talk we've had 2 or 3 people get up in testimony meeting and say they've thought of that story when their child is looking for something, so they prayed about it and found whatever they were looking for.