Friday, July 25, 2008

Joining the ranks.

Since we found out that we will be here in Cleveland for 3 more years we decided it was time to join the ranks and become a homeowner. I think it is time as we have been married for 8 years now. I feel like such a grown-up now. It took a little convincing for Colin but I managed to convince him that it would be a good idea. We began looking earlier in the month and looked at about 10 houses. The market is so much in our favor but some homes we looked at needed so much updating and attention that I just think we would be biting off much more than we could chew. I think that being tired and so pregnant actually helped me be more realistic. Out of the homes we looked at we found one we liked with an updated/ newer kitchen, carpet (oh, how we have missed carpet), a media room wired for surround sound and a flat panel (we can dream right), and part of the basement is finished for a playroom. The walls are all dark, real wood paneling so we will be painting. We will be downsizing a few hundred square feet but we have a lot of unused space currently. We will certainly miss having a master bath! The kitchen needs a new color of paint to keep me happy, as well as the dining room and the celings. I have ideas to paint the kids' rooms. We will want to update the bathroom in a year or two and we really want to fence the yard next spring/summer. Colin took some pictures with his phone and even though they are a bit fuzzy you get the idea.

Front Yard/ view from street
Back Yard/ view from side road


Kitchen, it is very terra cotta in color. I really
have the pregnancy glow in this picuture
don't I?

Living Room
Dining room/ view from living room
the yellow room in the back is the media room
This will be Cole's room
Jack and Mia's room
Full bathroom upstairs. Needs a make-over
but that little boy is sure perfect!

Our room which is painted a green color that I
really like


Ah, the playroom with some fantasic wood paneling
just dying to be painted! We get to keep the
couch. Nice eh?
Today we went and picked out a range and fridge which was quite fun. Colin found a steal on a lawn mower and a trimmer/edger. We close next week and are looking forward to family coming to town to help us out with our move. Thank you Matt, Crystal, and Valerie. If you are free Saturday the 2nd we would love to see anyone else here too. Let's pray the baby doesn't come too early. I need to get unpacked before he gets here but man, I am getting so tired of being pregnant!!

11 comments:

abby and jacob said...

Congrats on your new house. Hope everything goes well with your move.
Tamara

Crystal said...

We are really, really happy to help and even happier to see you guys! I love your house and am so so happy for you both, you will love having your own home, there is just something about it that is different from renting. We had paneling in the house I lived in while Matt and I were dating and it had been painted over with special white paint (so it would stick to the laminate) and it actually looked excellent.

What time does your ward meet Sunday? I am off the hook teaching-wise, but trying to plan the trip home again.

Also, please please post a belly picture! I love looking at them!!

Jennifer said...

Yeah!! How exciting for you guys!! Can't wait to get back to Cleveland and see your new home. Congratulations!

sara said...

Congratulations!! So excited to be neighbors. Looks like it will be a great home for you guys! With wonderful neighbors :)

Jason and Dana said...

Nice, already wired for surround sound. That is one of the top priorities. Now you better go get that TV, I cant believe you picked out a range before the flat screen. I think the best part of homeownership is that if you feel like knocking a hole in a wall, you are free to do so. I'm planning on doing some destruction here soon. It is quite therapeutic.
Jason

Anonymous said...

It look pretty cute

Anonymous said...

CONGRATS! In the Army we call buying a house "setting roots" then 3 years later we up and move (even though we knew all along we would. You'll be amazed how your feelings will change when you are in a home that you can paint crazy "what were they thinking" paneling! Be sure to lightly sand it and prime it with KILZ before you paint it. (we have learned from experience...you don't want peeling) Wish we could be there to help you move and to hug you all!

Jason and Dana said...

Awww, there's a picture where I can sort of see pregnant Lori!! You look SO great Lori!!! From that picture I'd say you're only 6 or 7 months prego, especially since it's baby #3!! Way to go!

Jessi said...

Congrats on your new home (and becoming homeowners)! Painting and "redo"ing a few rooms will be soooo much fun; however, you are such a trooper to be doing all of this at 8.5 months preggo. :-)

Anxiously awaiting to hear of Cole's arrival...and you look great...and you're right, you DO have a "glow" about you. :-)

Yonker Family said...

The house looks so cute. I am excited to see the inside in person. Not trying to diss your photography skills or anything, but it's hard to get the full feeling through these pictures. That basement/playroom is going to be a life saver for you, and so perfect once you get it painted and carpeted. I love all the storage.

Lauren in GA said...

Oh, my yes! You do have that pregnancy glow :)

I think that is such great house! I really love the living room!