...someone other than me!! I completely blew it today. Mia has this great music teacher at school who teaches her great songs and fun things to go with it. You may remember my post from October or November of her in music class skipping around and singing, having a great time. She had music observation again today and couldn't have been more excited about it. Colin was able to have the day off and that made it even more special for her. She was even excited that we were bringing the napkins and plates. I arranged for a friend to watch Jack, we dropped him off a little late but Colin still got us there at 2:30. Mia was sitting on the floor in a line with her class in the foyer of the school. I was so relieved that we weren't late. She said, "We already did it." I said, "isn't it now?" to her teacher and she shook her head NO. I said I thought it was at 2:30 and another mom looked at me sympathetically and told me it was at 2:00. WE HAD COMPLETELY MISSED THE PERFORMANCE!!! I couldn't believe it. My heart sank to my feet and tears came to my eyes remembering how much Mia talked about it and her excitement that both Colin and I would be there. I looked at her and she was hiding under the table she was sitting by. I went over and looked down at her and she was crying! I feel so bad that I am crying about still. It was so important to her and I blew it. I know, it happens and my brain is completely gone these days but I even wrote it on the calendar as 2:00. I picked her up, hugged her and walked over to a bench where not everyone could see us crying together. I just sobbed with her in my arms. She pulled back after a few minutes and went to Colin. I couldn't stop crying so I walked into the bathroom to finish sobbing. When I came out of the bathroom another mom told me she would burn a copy of it for me. It still makes me sad just to think about it. I have told her so many times how sorry I am. I was watching Mia during the class party that followed and she was just running around, eating, wanting me to read to her. I know she is still sad about us not being there, she told me tonight when I put her to bed, but she was so forgiving and sweet to me. I love that girl, my girl, for her great example of Christlike love and forgiveness. I hope to be more like her in this way.
Mia, I am so sorry!
6 comments:
I have missed things like that, too, and it just broke my heart! I cried, too :(
One time when we were still in Blacksburg I said to Kashia, "Well, I am out of the running for mother of the year" because of a fight that Adam and I had (he was only 4 at the time, what is the matter with me?) and I felt awful about it. Kashia said to me, "Well, my name was never even on a ballot." It made me laugh and I felt better :)
Lori, I'm so sorry! That really does stink.
The most important thing is that Mia knows that you love her. In a couple of years, she won't even remember her performance, but she'll always remember that you loved her.
You're an excellent mom and a great example for the rest of us. Love you!
I wish there was some way that we cold turn back time in moments like that. Mia really is such a sweet and forgiving little girl and in a few weeks or so she will have put it completely out of her mind. You ARE a GREAT mom.
I have been there. Nothing, nothing, nothing hurts worse to be a part of a little person's tears. Even if it is completely unintentional and with the best of intentions. She does know you love her though, and you know you love her too. It is so nice when they offer mommies comfort, I think it is the best comfort of all in humanity because it is so free and pure.
Next time, you will be there and Mia won't remember this time.
Oh, Lori, it made me cry to read about it. I know I have many moments like that in my future. So sorry!
Hey you are not the only one...I had a few of those myself. it is all part of being a mother (a good mother)
Post a Comment