Monday, October 17, 2011

More on Grandma Wright

I went to visit my Grandma this last weekend. She is very sad and very depressed. It is so strange to see her like that. I have only seen her cry twice in my life. The first time we were all getting in the car to go do something. Robert, my brother, had his hand in the way as Grandma closed the door. It smashed his hand and he cried. She felt so bad that she cried too. The second time was this weekend. Grandma has anxiety and depression. Both of which she is being treated for but frankly, she wants to die. I feel that most of it stems from her depression but she is 90 years old and suffers from chronic back pain. She sleeps about 20 hours a day and gets up here and there for about 30 minutes at a time. She was sleeping when I arrived but got up soon after. We visited, she held Norah and watched Cole play and then wanted to go back to bed. My uncle helped her up. I was standing already and as I looked over I noticed the tears in her eyes. It was just so sad to see her that way. She feels bad that she can't stay up longer and visit and that others have to care for her. I could hear the tears in her voice as she got into bed and spoke to my uncle. It was just so sad!

The next day, before I left to go home, we visited more, she walked outside in the sunshine and she smiled as I put her back in bed. Cole was playing with the flashlight and clock on her nightstand in his curious little way. It made her smile. I told her that is was so good to see her smiling.

No comments: