We all have physical flaws that we hate right? It's pretty bad though when your own kids point them out to you! On three separate occasions Mia has pointed out or asked me why my physical appearance is the way it is.
For example: "Mom, why is your belly big like that?" As she pats my stomach. My reaction is a bit defensive and I explain to her that I have had 3 kids that have stretched my tummy out and these 3 kids leave me with no time to exercise to get rid of the belly. She just says, "oh."
Then the other day we are all in the car and Mia plainly asks, "Mom, why are your teeth yellow?" Colin said they weren't. Mia said they were a little bit. I tried to explain to her that that is what happens when you get old and that because I nurse Cole I can't do anything about it right now.
And then there is my adult acne which seems to have been active lately with the heat.
"Mom, why do you have those owies on your face?"
I guess I can stop being self conscious because I think she may be conscious about it enough for the both of us. She is seeing my flaws more and more.
Oh, Sunday I had to take her out of Sacrament meeting and put her in a room by herself. At the end of church my friend asked me if I had seen the note Mia wrote to me on the chalkboard she had been in with her daughter just after Mia. I told her no and asked her if it said "I hate Mommy. " Sure enough, that IS what it said.
Mia is always upfront, that's for sure. She gets that from her Mom. Isn't being a Mom fun?
7 comments:
Ohhhh, I always dreaded the day when my kids would mention someone being fat. Luckily my kids don't hear that word very often, but this lady rolled up on a motorized cart at Costco and was talking to me and my kids while we ate lunch and Colby said, "Why are you so big?" AHhhhhh. She was like, "Because I was in a car accident a long time ago that makes me sit all day long." At least she didn't take offense.
This is off topic, but the past little while I have totally been seeing Mia in Eva. Isn't that so funny? It happened this afternoon, it's so weird because they couldn't be more opposite, but expressions she makes totally make me think "Mia!"
Oh yes, leave it to your kids to point out all of your flaws. Grace used to watch "the biggest loser" with us when it was on in the fall. She told me once that I needed to go on the biggest loser because my belly was fat! (I used the same explanation as you :))
OH wow. I actually never had that happen to me when Valerie was younger. I think it might make me cry now! I know she HATES my hair (as do I) because it all fall out over the winter and is now growing back which gives me a lovely spiky halo and makes me look like I just woke up and ran out the door. Such fun.
The note... that is actually funny in a sad way. Valerie once drew a picture of her dad with a red face and gaping open mouth (screaming). I put that on the refrigerator and it helped me for a while to keep myself in check. I get to hear how terrible and mean and hated I am about, oh... 5 times a day. It is lovely...
You always know where you stand with those little ones. The consolation is that they know how to openly express what they see physically, but they don't quite have the abstract down yet, things like how peaceful, and stable, and loving you are. That will come in time.
david
yeah, my kids love to point out my flaws, too. fun times. And Emma's gotten into scratching and hitting just so she can give "kisses better" and so now I've got scratches all over my chin and nose in addition to my own adult acne that's been horrible.
I feel your pain!
All you have to say is " Don't you love me just the way I am?" Mia is a sweet little girl, if she doesn't think you have issues with your appearances, then she won't either. Anyway, you know you're HOT!
I hope you guys have a fun vacation, you will be missed.
Post a Comment