Monday - Mia had Saftey Town. She got to learn all about ways to be safe. Hence the name. I still didn't feel well. I ached, would sweat and had a bit of a fever. Mia was supposed to be there at 10am. I knew this. I even reminded my friend that it was at 10. Well, I was just loading the kids up at 10:10 thinking that I was doing well. I would get there at 10:30, right on time. Ahhhh, I realize at that moment that we were supposed to be there at 10. I had no mind. We go Mia there and she still had a great time. Cole's eyes were getting worse and by the time I picked Mia up at 12 his eyes were getting pink. I asked a friend who is a nurse who's kids have had pink eye in the past and she said she was sure that Cole had it. Jack's eyes were getting pink too. Before I left the parking lot we had doctor's appointments for both boys. Sure enough they both had pink eye and, as is common, Cole had a double ear infection along with it. Poor baby! they thought Jack may have had strep but the swab came back negative. Mia's throat was red also. Cost $20. We picked up the prescriptions, $35, and later went to the pool. Hind-sight says we shouldn't have! By the time we left both Jack and Mia were crying. I knew they were tired. Poor kids. That night I was feeling better so I tackled the super messy kitchen. Ahh, I love a clean kitchen!
Tuesday - I woke up with a right goopy eye. I knew I had pink eye too. I started drops right away and threw away my contacts. Case and all. I didn't feel that great again but had sick kids to take care of. Cole was doing much better and Jack too. It was a long day. We stayed in. That night we were putting the kids to bed. Both Mia and Jackson had fevers over 101. What now? I could see Mia's eye was getting pink so I started drops for her too. Now everyone but Colin had pink eye.
Wednesday - With the fevers I suspected strep so I took Mia in. I didn't want to pay for for two co-pays again. The nurse practioner took a swab to send off to Pittsburg of all places! I kept thinking, " we live in a medical metropolis. Why Pittsburg?" Whatever. She thought it was just a virus upon virus and just told me to treat symptoms with Tylenol and Motrin. I couldn't believe they were so sick and there was nothing bacterial. $10 more.Mia had to miss saftey town. I couldn't let her expose her friends to pink eye. Yikes! So we fought fevers all day and I was feeling worse! I was so very glad when Colin came hom at 5. We put the kids to bed early and I think I went to bed at 8:30pm. I did have to get up a few times, Jack was having a very hard time, but I slept until 6:30am, I think. I can't remeber the last time I slept that much. I felt a bit better. Oh yeah, Jack napped for about 3 hours and went to bed at 7 still.
Thursday - Jack still didn't feel well. Cole was looking great! I was very concerned about Jack. I asked him to run around with Bailey and he went over, laid on the couch and said he couldn't, he was too sick. I knew he felt horrible. By that night he was feeling better. I let him watch an incredible amount of TV and movies but what else could I do. At least he wasn't whining! He didn't want to eat either. We made it through Thursday and I stayed up to get things going to go camping. I was feeling a lot better and was happy to stay up to make potato salad, cookies do laundry and be by myself and in the peace and quiet! I have to admit, it took some yelling to get the kids to stay in bed but I had things to do.
Friday - I got all the camping stuff packed by myself and loaded in the car. I was pretty proud of myself. Colin took Jack and Mia to swim lessons. It seemed we were on the out with the sicknesses. I had developed this cough that would keep me up at night! That was so annoying! We got to the camp site and had a ton of fun!! We all had a good time, ate great camping food and stayed up late. Why is it when you go camping you have to get up like twice in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom? Maybe that's just me. It was a long night of coughing and such.
Saturday - Cole was up at 6:30 with a fever. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? More sickness? We dosed the baby with Tylenol but he was tired, uncomfortable and fussy. His eyes were getting goopy again by the minute it seemed. I thought the antibiotic may not be working. I was back to feeling not very well either. I slept all the way home as well as the kids. The kids actually slept from 3-5:30. They did not want to go to bed. I went to bed about 10pm. Early for me. I woke up coughing so hard I threw up 3 times but felt better. Less coughing. Gross, I know. I knew Cole and I would be missing church the next day.
Sunday - Jack hates going to church and was throwing a fit so he stayed home with me. Cole still had a fever and so I took him in again. $10 more. This was getting to get old. I felt okay but was very tired. Jack and Mia were well again thankfully. Cole's right ear was still red but a second opinion from the doctor and apparently it looked and was healing like it should. They then looked in his mouth and there were little blisters on his throat. He had hand, foot and mouth. WHAT?! One more virus? After telling Colin via text message at church he put two and two together and concluded that that is what Jack had, possibly Mia, hence the fevers, and now Cole had it. Just treat the symptoms. My baby is just gettng hammered with sicknesses. I got a two hour nap too. I think I am getting better.
Monday - Today he was happier but doesn't want to eat, just nurse. That's okay by me, it's actually easier and it makes him happy. Jack and Mia are better and went to swim lessons again today. Cole stayed home with Colin. We went to the park, had FHE and put kids to bed. Now I am going to bed. I hope so much that this is the last of it. A few more days and we should be out of the woods.
I have been counting my blessings however. At least they are not throwing up!! That I cannot take!
8 comments:
Wow! What a week you had! You are such a trooper. I would have complained and cried all week. Hope you are all feeling better!
Oh Lori! What a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad couple of weeks!! Hopefully now that you (hopefully) have the right diagnosis everyone will get better. Being in Kenya is messing with my perception of sickness. I was reading the symptoms thinking, hmm...maybe it's malaria? Or typhoid? I'm glad you're raising your kids in the US. :)
But what about you? Did you ever figure out what you caught?
Here's a couple things:
It's funny that she asked her nurse friend for medical advice. Not really, she did call me about it too. I did save Lori a trip to her doctor by having one of my attendings call her in some eye drops. No reason to pay another copay just so you can tell the doctor exactly what you need from him. $10 copay for a $4 prescription doesn't really make sense if you already know what you have.
She didn't mention she packed up the car by herself because I worked until 2:00 am the night before.
Is texting during sacrament meeting bad if it is concerning your childrens' health? I don't think so. It's the 21st century version of ox in the mier.
Colin
makes me sad to think of everyone so sick. glad you are all doing somewhat better. i really hope it is over for you, lori. becky's kids were all throwing up last week too. interesting to me that her kids throw up so much when that is like a major challenge for ray. we all have lessons to learn, right. we will be praying for good health for everyone.
I wasn't braging that I did it by myself because Colin wouldn't help. I was braging that I COULD do it by myself. I wasn't dissing you honey! I did forget to say that he helped load the car back up and unloaded it ALL BY HIMSELF! Cole was too sick for me to put down. Or so he thought.
I hope you're all better now! I was sad to miss you on Sunday, but we'll see you when we're all back in town. Megan keeps talking about the bike from Mia. We haven't forgotten, we've just been running around a lot.
I actually started thinking Thursday I had not heard from you. I can NOT IMAGINE. I hope that is the last you will see of ickyness for the summer. I think summer colds/sicknesses are the worst ones and with three little ones... it is 300% worse.
Blah!
PS You are awesome for camping with three kids too. Word.
Oh Lori, I totally feel for you. That is the absolute WORST when all your kids are sick, not to mention having to take all of them to the doctor multiple times!! You are seriously superwoman! Oh what I wouldn't give for a $10 copay...
Post a Comment