Tuesday, November 18, 2008

He's gone and done it!


At just 2 1/2 years old my extreme child has his first fracture. Today, about 4:30pm, Jack decided to stand on the arm rest of our desk chair and jump off. The chair fell over and when I ran into the room he was laying on the floor with the chair on his leg. I could tell he was very hurt by his cry and by the way he held on to me. Normally he cries and then is off and running again. I calmed him down and tried to get him to walk on it but he wouldn't. I called Colin and he was about 1/2 hour away from home. I knew in my gut that it was probably pretty bad, Jack just never complains about being hurt. I made an appointment with my pediatrician but when Colin got home we decided to just go strait to the ER. I guess they took an xray of his foot and found nothing so they xrayed his leg. Colin said it is a buckle or torus fracture on his fibula almost to his knee. I just said to my sister yesterday, "I can't believe he hasn't broken his neck." Well thankfully it is only an incomplete fracture. Colin is not yet home from the ER so I will post pictures of Jack later. I guesss they put a hard splint on it tonight and I have to call the orthopedic tomorrow to get it cast Meanwhile, here is a picture of the chair. The armrest is about 30 inches from the ground.

4 comments:

Jessi said...

Oh, poor Jack. I do pray that he tolerates the cast well....those things can be really itchy, don't allow for real baths, etc.

Heal up soon, dear Jackson.

abbynormal said...

Oh little Jack!! I've always been amazed at how he jumps/falls off things that certainly LOOKED painful, but then he just bounces off to do something else crazy. Hope he bounces back fast from this one.

Crystal said...

Lori~

How is Jack now? I have been thinking of him since I read about his fall, just sick with sadness for him. A cast is no fun- it is going to affect his growth?

Colin & Lori said...

He has been fine the whole time as long as he wasn't bearing weight on that leg, even before he had the cast on. Since he has the cast he can walk on it, and it's the kind he can get wet. It has gore tex lining instead of cotton. He's getting around really well actually. We'll have to post video of him walking around in the cast. The fracture isn't through the growth plate, so it won't affect his growth. It was on the fibula (the small bone in the leg) up by the knee. It's just a small fracture through the outer cortex. It should be healed in 2-3 weeks at his age. He isn't uncomfortable or in pain at all, so it's just the adjustment for him in getting around, and that doesn't even seem to bother him at all. He's handling it really well.