Monday, April 20, 2009

Part 2

I got up the next morning after about 6 hours of sleep. I usually need about 9. Colin thinks I am crazy because he goes on about 6 all the time. I was thinking I would go down and find a mostly dry basement. This wasn't the case. The hot water tank was leaking again. Ahhhhh. I called Colin, waking him up, to see if he had any good ideas. We talked more and decided that I would call the home warranty company again and try to actually talk with someone. I tried with no success. I finally looked them up on-line and managed to get a person. I went through the details with her. She said they would try to find someone to come out. I held for about 5 minutes but I didn't care because they were finding someone. Alas, they could not find someone and said they would continue to make calls. She said if I didn't hear from them in a few hours to give a call back. I called Colin and decided that I would get some parts for the drain and a wet/dry vacuum to take care of the water in the basement. I headed off with my three kids thinking this would be a fast trip. About an hour later with 3 things in my cart I headed home. I just knew the warranty co. had called and left a message for me and someone was on their way. No such luck. I called them back and they told me I had to wait the whole 2 hours before they would let me go out on my own to find someone, pay up front, then get reimbursed. I had 11 more minutes to wait. I knew at this point I just had to turn off the main water valve. The water just running down the drain-so to speak-was just making me crazy. I called my home teacher who came out and found it for me. I really looked all around but it happened to be behind the dryer. David, you probably knew right where it was, I should have called. I had piled some things from the floor on to the dryer and couldn't see it. My home teacher, bless his heart, admited that he wasn't handy with plumbing but gave me a plumber to call. I called, they answered, I explained, they put me on hold, they came back to tell me that they wouldn't come unless there was major flooding. I pled my case a bit but he wasn't going to bugde. I hung up and sobbed. I just didn't know what to do. I was so frustrated. I left messages at a few other pluming co. but no one called me back. I finally called my Bishop who gave me a name. I called, he was paged, he called me, I explained, he explained he couldn't come that day. He could come Sunday and put a new valve on the pipe to the water tank to keep it from filling because the old one wasn't doing the job. I couldn't have him come on the Sabbath. It was that day or Monday. Frustrated beyond caring I committed Marty to come first thing Monday morning. I felt good enough about that.

The kids were so great about the whole thing. Jack wasn't feeling all that well either. He had been coughing, sneezing and had a runny nose for about 3 days but I could tell he felt worse this day. I wanted to take the kids to the Botanical Garden which was displaying some art work that Mia had worked on at school. It is also fun to play in the dirt, water and sandbox they have there. The weather was soooo beautiful!!! It was 70 out. We slathered in sunscreen, got dressed in shorts and capris and left the giant mess. I just couldn't take it any more. It was about 2:30 when we arrived. It takes me so long to get out the door! We had a great time in the amazing weather and stayed until it closed.

On our way to the church for an activity of games and a movie we stopped at Wendy's to eat. I just coudln't go home and try to fix something in the messy kitchen with no water. Cole was very warm and a bit cranky. I was thinking he wasn't feeling well either.

At the church the kids watched the movie and had treats and punch. Most of the adults were in another room playing games. I was visiting. Cole was very warm so I gave him some Tylenol. He is cutting all 4 top teeth at the same time. I would be unhappy too!!! Colin finally arrived. We visited a bit more and headed home to a super messy house. I just wanted to get to bed. The kids were down but not without a bit of a struggle from Jackson, as usual. It was about 9:30 when Colin and I headed to bed.

I went in to check on the kids like I do every night and Jack was getting out of bed and started to cry. I almost picked him up when I realized he was spitting. I walked him about 3 steps to the bathroom, not realizing that he was going to vomit and out it came. My instinct was to try and catch it. This only resulted in puke from my elbows to my fingertips. I am hollering to Colin "throwing-up, throwing-up, throwing-up!" Mind you Jack is upset, needing comfort, there is vomit on the hardwood floor (thank you!) and vomit on my arms. I am trying so hard not to smell it or look at it. Colin had just turned the water valve off in the basement and I am upstairs in the bathroom. I almost threw up myself. I firmly but politely asked Colin to run downstairs and turn the water on. He quickly did and I cleaned myself up. All I could think of was why tonight of all nights did he have to throw up? I was sure it wasn't a virus but just that he had eaten way too many pieces of sour licorice, popcorn and whatever else he got his hands on at the ward party. I have to admit I was not watching him at all. I guess I deserved it a bit. Mia slept through the whole thing in the same room even. Colin, my super-duper amazingly wonderful sweet and understanding husband cleaned up the up-chuck from off the floor. I was sooooo grateful I didn't have to do it. I did need to change Jack's sheets and ended up putting my hand in it, not knowing it was there. I couldn't turn the light on because Mia was asleep. Jack went back to bed and I went to bed. I think it was about midnight.

Sunday the kids and I stayed home. Cole was obviously sick and uncomfortable and I couldn't take the chance with Jackson. Colin had to go back to work so he got to go to sacrament meeting at least. It was a very long day and the basement was starting to smell a bit. I don't know why. I hope it just goes away.

Well this morning the plumber showed up and started with the kitchen sink so we could at least have running water. The drain just past the plumbing under the sink was gunked up. He put the plumbing back togther and we put a new turn off valve to the hot water tank so it would actually work. By 2pm we were in hot water business baby!!! Yahoooo!!
Hot water, hot water oh how I love you!
Hot water, hot water I really missed you!

We did have to pay the plumber up-front but because we have a home warranty we get reimbursed. The warranty, which we didn't pay for, the seller did, has now paid for itself twice this weekend.

I have lots of laundry to do and more dishes to unload and load in the dishwasher. Oh yes, and maybe I should go take a shower.

14 comments:

Colin & Lori said...

Jack is back to himself but Cole is still unhappy a bit.

abbynormal said...

Oy, what a disaster! So glad it's over. Mostly.

Jason and Dana said...

When it rains it pours!!! Really, it all comes at once, doesn't it? At least you made it through the weekend, way to go Lori. Colby threw up Sunday, and I'm pretty sure it was from too much sugar. He found a bag of gummy bears and was shoveling them in.

Rachel said...

I hope you guys are all feeling better and that the smell went away! Throw up has got to be one of the worst parts of parenting!

David and Debby said...

frankly, lori, i think you are pretty much superwoman!!! to even begin to work on a drain is amazing, and to be able to leave it behind for many hours is very smart. what could you do? david did know where the turn off was, but what a great opportunity for your home teacher to serve your family. so glad it is all over.
debby

David and Debby said...

Lori,
Wish we had been there. I am experienced at fixing such things and could have saved you some time and stress at least, if not cash. Good you have that insurance. Hey, maybe I should bill them for the other plumbing repair I did, and you could collect it to at east pay for the materials you had to buy. Maybe we could throw the fence in there too??

Colin & Lori said...

David, you think of a way to do that and I will submit it! I wish you had been here also!!

Crystal said...

I just had this sick feeling reading all that. What an awful series of unfortunate events. It is SO ODD what we take for granted though, isn't it?! Hot water! I thought of that all day long every time I used it. You are so handy though, no surprise, but WOW! Good job!
I am feeling your pain with the lonely single mom nights. They are the worst!

Good job getting through that!

We will see you soon, not sure on the timing still, but hopefully soon!!

rebeccaV said...

Oh Lori, that makes me want to cry just reading it!! I agree, you are a superwoman!! I'm so glad everything is better now!! Throwing up is the WORST!! We drove home from Pocatello yesterday and Elliot threw up all over EVERYTHING in the car after driving through all the windy mountain roads in Idaho. We were about 45 minutes from home. I knew we were in trouble when he said, "mommy, my stomach hurts". I turned around and up it all came.

We can't wait to see you guys in a few months!! We should take the kids to Silverwood, Grace got a free ticket for completing a reading program. She got really excited when I told her that maybe we could go with her cousins :)

Trev and Shan said...

Oh.My.Gosh. POOR LORI!!!!! It sounds like you handled those situations WAY better than most people would have. Good work! Hopefully that's your dose of craziness for the next long while.

Melanie said...

as i was reading, i kept thinking oh that's awful. and then i kept reading. and it kept getting worse! amazing. and you lived through it to tell the tale. amazing.

Colin & Lori said...

It does make me feel a bit empowered to think I actually LIVED through it all. I have to count my blessings though, this was only the 3rd vomit incident in my 5 years of being a mom and Colin had cleaned the majority of it up twice. Although the vomit on the arms should count for two for me too. Ahhhhh, I might gag just thinking about it.

Anonymous said...

Lori, Lori, Lori.....
I feel your pain! I had a similiar set of unfortunate events and there is always a silver lining...well, for me there was. FOR you, NOT SO MUCH! Glad you made it out alive!!!

Anonymous said...

I love home warranties!!